My general idea is to peel up the pro-grip, cut a big hole in the
floor of the cockpit, and add one or more floor frames to brace the
How many frames should I add?
What is the best to use for the floor? 3mm ply or glass-foam-glass
How to attach the floors to the CB case and hull? use glass tape or
is a fillet of glass-filled epoxy good enough?
Is epoxy the right glue or should I use something else?
Here's the way I'd do it- using my limited
boatbuilding skills :-).
Can't you just cut a few width ways slits (the same
width as some ?6mm plywood), with a skillsaw/ jig saw.
Then cut a bigger fore and aft cut along the case, so
you can get ya hand in (for gluing/coves), and put
some fore and aft stringers around the case. To finish
just Epoxy/ glass (did you say Carbon- Gil?- sounds
good to me for an older boat!) her up.
If weight is a problem- just sand all the Gel coat off
under the progrip to help.
The best guy to ask is probably Joachim - the guru,
if you can track him down.
Kirk and everyone.
I do feel badly about not tumbling to the lack of
structure before Kirk bought the boat. I do tend to
go around sticking a camera inside boats to see how
they are built. I just did not do it soon enough.
Kirk, we need to double our boats up on my trailer so we can
go demo some prospects. I have not talked to them yet so I
do not know when.
While we are loading, you can look inside Challant to see how
I did that one a few years ago. I cut a thwartship piece of
cockpit floor out and then bonded in two bulkheads just
in front of the cut and just aft of the cut. Flanged the
underside of the deck and glued the removed piece
back into the cockpit floor. That was about a 6 month
job of thinking and about 1 day doing.
The good news is that there is no blocking bulkhead from
the front of the cockpit back to the region which needs
I am thinking that it might be possible to build a transverse
I beam which closely fits between the bottom of the boat and the
cockpit floor. Said I beam would have one very rigid side
to butt up against the side of the centreboard case. The
I beam needs a groove running along the top, side
and bottom so that epoxy or other glue may be
pumped in at one location and follows the groove all
the way around top, side and bottom. You would not
cut the cockpit floor open at all. Slide the I beam in
from the inspection ports and draw it back into the
correct position with cords running from the front
and rear inspection ports to the beam.
I have not figured out how to pump in the glue yet.
Maybe drill small holes (hidden by the Pro-Grip)
through the cockpit floor lined up with the glue groove.
We can stick the camera in from the front inspection
ports and see what is up in the angled part of the top
of the CB case.
I am also thinking of a longitudinal plank which
has a fairly rigid polygon to fit up into that
angled section. Draw the plank up against the
underside of the cockpit floor and glue it there
transferring loads from the top of the CB case
to the cockpit floor.
Neither fix needs to add much weight and the
added weight is in a good location.